Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Best Hungarian-English Pluralisms

Pluralizing words in English often makes no sense. Why in the world do I drink beer (plural) but have a few beers?

Not exactly acing my own Hungarian lessons, I can imagine how difficult it is for Hungarians to learn English and deal with our random grammar rules. But it still is funny to hear slip-ups ever so often. My favorite common plural "mistakes" are:

Shrimps
"I love little shrimps in my fajita." -Iguana Bar & Grill, Budapest

Fruits
"...identifying low-hanging fruits." -Every board presentation I have ever worked on

Monthies
"How many monthies have you lived in Budapest?" -Co-worker

Testicles
"Relax your testicles." -Govinda Yoga Instructor
(OK, so this one was a complete mistake; I think she meant tendons or muscles or something but she mentioned "relaxing our testicles" throughout the entire 1.5 hour class.)

3 comments:

  1. I thought monthies was pretty funny until I reached the final installment...hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh i would have lost it mid-yoga move

    ReplyDelete