Friday, December 18, 2009

My New Year's Resolution...Probably More Than You Wanted to Know

When I get stressed, I write lists. In high school, I was borderline obsessive. Every Friday night I would write a “to-do” list for the weekend on a legal notepad, put it on my desk, and not relax until every item was crossed out. I toned it down in college because I didn’t want my roommates to think I was psychotic, but the fixation didn’t go away. I now limit myself to six simultaneous lists on my blackberry notepad; any more and I feel the need to keep a list of my lists, which even I realize is ridiculous.

Living by lists creates two problems. First, I waste an incredible amount of time making lists when I could be doing stuff. Second, I focus on knocking off items on my list rather than solving the underlying issue or problem.

This is why my (early) New Year’s resolution is to start solving problems even if they don’t fit nicely into list format.

(This epiphany sounds incredibly stupid in writing.)

Mindlessly browsing the Internet Inspired by this post, I took action. Like Gretchen, my body temperature stays around negative 20 degrees. Right now I am sitting at my desk wearing a shirt, sweater, fleece, scarf and winter jacket. Balazs next to me is wearing a t-shirt. I actually make decisions whether to do things based on how long I will have to be outside. Pathetic, right? And I start ski lessons this weekend.

So I went to Tesco and bought a space heater for my office. Then I googled “long underwear for women that you can’t see under clothes” and ordered several pairs. Five minutes of not-so-strenuous thinking and problem solved (well, TBD).

And the best part? I put “buy heater at Tesco” and “order long underwear” on my to-do list.

1 comment:

  1. Weirdo. Come hang out w/Mom and I for a week; veg on the couch, watch Housewives, concern yourself with the dog's bowel movements and you will be cured of making lists forever.

    ReplyDelete