Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Croatia

I maintain that Croatia is the most beautiful place on earth.

It is also the hottest. I love bikram yoga, but I don't know how I feel about bikram living.


View from our patio onto the Adriatic and Lokrum. Yes, you can hate me. I will hate myself when I am snowed under in Boston mid-October.


The Stradum running through the center of Dubrovnik served only as a conduit to obtain octopus salad and gelato.


How can you not take pictures of this? Actually pretty easily. All of the beautiful photo ops are courtesty of Alyssa and Lexipoo.


We took a ferry to the Elafiti islands of Kolocep and Lopud.


While Lyss and Lex played scrabble on the boat, I learned that my apartment in Boston didn't work out. What is a five letter word containing three vowels for my mortgage broker?


We took a break from the sun to visit Restaurant Gverovic Orsan in nearby Zaton Bay. During the time of Dubrovnik Republic, Zaton Bay was where Dubrovnik’s noblemen preferred to summer. Today, it is where Lyss taught us how to eat oysters.


Did ya know that although oysters have two sexes, they may change sex one or more times during their life span?


Furtheremore, opening, or "shucking" oysters has become a competitive sport. Oyster shucking competitions are staged around the world, including the annual Guiness World Oyster Opening Championship in Galway, Ireland.


Unfortunately making strange faces while drinking wine is not a competitive event. This was my response when Alyssa told me do my "Alex" look. Skeptical with a hint of lazy.


We not only had a wonderful time, but also Alyssa and I escaped Croatia without our usual traveling mishaps. And now I probably jinxed Alyssa, who currently is boarding a Titanic-sized cruise ship.

T-2 weeks in the 'Pest!

2 comments:

  1. Aw, this looks like such a great trip! I can't believe your time there is almost done!

    Hope to see you @ least when I'm home for t-giving...i leave for evanston august 16.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironically, almost everyone in my office was in Dubrovnik for a meeting while you were there! They reported that 100 degrees was TOO hot.

    PS: I'm glad you like oysters!

    ReplyDelete