Thursday, May 20, 2010

Yoga Pose May: Hungarian Style

When I lived in Boston, I would leave Equinox yoga classes feeling pretty proud of myself. Not only had I done something “good” for my body, the instructor invariably told me I had good energy, tried really hard that day, or liked my T.J. Maxx yoga top. The sauna and locker room were pretty nice too.

Yoga in Hungary is a bit different.

Gauranga leads hot Ashtanga and Agni classes in the basement of the only vegan restaurant in Budapest Atma Center. I love Gauranga. I fear Gauranga.

Although he leads classes in Hungarian, Gauranga corrects me in English. And by corrects me I mean he asks me in a deadpan voice why am I not working in his class? Meanwhile I barely can grip the mat because I am drenched in sweat.

(Sorry for the visual.)

Gauranga has no problem “adjusting” me into positions I didn’t know existed or, if I did, would not dare to try. I am embarrassed to admit that I actually have cried (yes, cry. And I don’t cry.) in class before. G’s response? “Stop crying.” (I thought the sweat dripping down my face would have masked the tears but apparently G is as wise as he is sadistic.)

I also never have felt as “straight” or tall or wonderful as I do when I leave class. The euphoria continues for about two days or until I completely forget what actually happened in the basement torture chamber. Then I go back for more.

Thankfully, tree pose or Vrksasana has never inspired tears, just glares from G.

The purpose of tree pose is to improve balance and strengthen legs.

1. Stand in mountain pose or Tadasana.
2. Bend left knee, bringing sole of left foot to right inner ankle, shin, or thigh (never to the knee).
3. Push left thigh out and press left foot into right ankle/shin/thigh. Keep hips square.
4. Focus on a stationary object (i.e. not me if I am doing yoga with you).
5. Raise hands from heart center to ceiling with palms touching. Open arms to side.
6. Repeat with right foot.

I probably should have taken this picture before class.


If you are ever in Budapest, let me know. We can go see G together, cry, and then talk about how awesome we feel. I can promise you it will be a special experience.

2 comments:

  1. yay yoga! i miss it so much. your teacher sounds a bit freaky but i know that straight/tall feeling. We should have gone to class when I visited! Bummer...

    Hope we can overlap a bit when you get back before I head out in mid-August!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, it was really painful. G sat on me. SAT.ON.ME.

    ReplyDelete