Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hungarian Eats: Week I

I begged; a few of you clicked.

You asked; I answered.

To kick off the weekly Hungarian Eats post, I proudly introduce the Top Hungarian “Don’t-Knock-‘Em-Til-You-Try-‘Em” Eats.

Ham-flavored spreadable cheese. That’s right; I went from Hungry Girl-approved Laughing Cow light cheese wedges to this. Don’t judge. At least I don’t pull out this when purchasing.

Goose cracklings. Fried goose skin is the Hungarian equivalent of Pringles: Once you pop you just can't stop...until you develop severe gastrointestinal problems.


Beet ice cream. Little did I know that my quest for the best beet salad in Boston was child’s play compared to the beet options in Hungary.

Gypsy roast. I was happy to discover that this specialty is indeed a slab of roasted beef and not another way to persecute the gypsies.

Bread topped with lard and onions (different from Langos). In its continual quest to sweep the best drunk food awards, Hungary offers this salty snack at both upscale winebars and dives. Just accept that lard likely isn't much worse for you than the latest ingredient food purists are rallying against, and don't breathe on anyone for five days.

3 comments:

  1. There's nothing better than chowing down on beet ice cream. Except for chowing down on beet ice cream with a Norwegian high school band playing in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghers - Susan and I found poppy seed and fig ice cream this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i seriously miss the ham cheese spread! can you send me some? i would die! as a hungry girl follower, i can attest that light laughing cow doesn't even compare!

    ReplyDelete