Thursday, May 13, 2010

Hobby Lobby

I used to have an inferiority complex about hobbies. Maybe due to permanent brainwashing from b-school applications, I was convinced hobbies had to be extreme activities about which I was PASSIONATE. Which explains this disaster.

Only recently did I realize the things I enjoy (running, yoga, scrapbooking, traveling, writing) are hobbies too, albeit hobbies more reminiscent of a suburban housewife than a SWF.

Yes, these are the things I think about at a 6:30 AM spin class based entirely on McCoy’s Another Night (which I enjoyed, perhaps making my list of hobbies also reminiscent of a teenage boy on spring break in Amsterdam).

The above musings obviously beg the question: What are the popular hobbies in Hungary?

Cleaning one’s flat. This is by far the most common answer to “what did you do this weekend?”

Being a “sportman” (or “sportwoman”). This phrase never gets old. I also love that in addition to soccer, water polo is both a popular sport and source of national pride.

Attending Metallica concerts. Metallica must tour 6-8 months of the year in Central and Eastern Europe. I would too if I had such a devout fan following. Literally the entire office is leaving at 3 PM today in preparation for tonight's concert.

Learning a 4th or 5th language. Further feeding my hobby inferiority complex.

So, what are your hobbies? As of April 25th, my sister Kara’s was not wearing underwear.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot tell a lie, the last sentence is, sadly, true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to become more of a sportwoman.

    ReplyDelete