Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Boldog Szuletesnapot!

Hungarians celebrate both birthdays and namedays, special days designated for a person’s name based on religious or famous figures and historical events. Some names have seven namedays a year (you pick one to celebrate); some names have none (you pick a random day).

Birthdays are a more intimate affair celebrated by close friends and family; namedays are casual. Because women typically are given flowers on their nameday, flower prices can rise around the dates of popular names.

My namedays are March 18 and May 18. So no worries if you missed my birthday – you will have another chance in two weeks.

Can you imagine having to remember the namedays of all of your family and friends? If you live in Hungary, chances are you know at least 11 Janoses, a name with 13 potential namedays. I would astound you with the resulting number of permutations, but I forgot all math above a sixth-grade level after sixth grade the GMAT.

When I asked my coworker Geza how Hungarians celebrate namedays, he replied, “Drink.”

When I asked my coworker Geza how Hungarians celebrate birthdays, he replied, “Drink.”

So I did.

1 comment:

  1. Did you wish us (yourself) a bulldog shnarfle?

    Because that's what it sounds like.

    xo - hope your bday was extra bulldog-y :)

    ReplyDelete