Monday, October 5, 2009

Dachstein, Austria

My coworkers and I went on a weekend excursion to the Alps. I thought we were going on a hiking / camping trip. We actually were going climbing.


After renting via ferrata equipment (belts & helmets) in town, we took the lift to the top of Dachstein. Please note Robert (left), organizer of the trip and experienced climber, and his expression, which pretty much translates into "what the hell have I gotten myself into?" It would have been awkward for him to explain on Monday why GTS was down five employees.


Learning how to use the equipment.


About an hour and a half later, we take a "short" break at the top of our practice climb.




Geza, what are you doing?


Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of the subsequent "real" climb.

Leaving Geza and Gabor back at the lodge, Balazs, Robert, Tunde & I began a steeper climb. 20 minutes into the trek, I realized this was totally different from the practice run. We were really high. And I am really afraid of heights. I made a deal with myself that from then on I would not look down.


This tactic worked for a while until Tunde got nervous and stopped climbing. I stopped too, and that was when I made the mistake of looking down. Good lord.


Tunde and I did not finish the second climb, but overall it was an awesome day. Especially in retrospect now that I am safely on the ground.

The best part was during the second climb a couple of climbers literally skipped over me and scurried up the mountain without clipping themselves in! Oh my god.

On Sunday, we went on a much more tame hiking trip which did not require helmets.


Not a bad way to spend the weekend.

2 comments: