Thursday, April 8, 2010

And...I'm Done Rambling About Sarajevo

Contrary to what the below post may have indicated, I assuaged my guilt for knowing so little about the city by eating and drinking my face off.

But first I checked my gat at the mosque.


Sarajevo rightfully deserves its nickname "Little Istanbul." Although Affans and Omar were not there to show us around the city, Amitabh and I met two Bosnian-Canadians who showed us their favorite cafes/restaurants/sisha joints.

I'm moving here: doner kabobs, baklava, pite, sahlep
What the hell did I do to myself?: cevapi


The correct way to drink Turkish coffee is to slurp; the mixture of air and coffee should form an "aromatic cushion" within your mouth, adding more texture and smell to the drinking process.

Or you could use the coffee as a dipping vehicle for Turkish delite.


Although UN forces tried to supply the city with food during the war, there were severe shortages. Out of desperation, the inhabitants of Sarajevo dug a 1 km tunnel from a garage in the city to a house outside of JNA control, where they could receive supplies from other cities in Bosnia.

This 1 meter x 1 meter tunnel not only transported food and supplies to civilians but also all of the weapons used by the Bosnian "army" during the war.

Seriously?


Seriously.


A lot of stuff went underground during the war; Sarajevo even held the annual Miss Sarajevo contest in a hotel basement.


Not so much Miss Sarajevo as Miss I'm-Gonna-Imbibe-That-Homemade-Wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment