Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Comedy (in Retrospect) of Errors

My best friends from college tell me that I live in my own world. I don’t see it; but I guess I wouldn’t even if it were true. Well, last night I was completely in my own world. My own, little bizarre universe of one.

I left work at 11 pm last night (atypical) and was starving. I didn’t have much food at home (the yogurt and bread I bought this weekend was already bad) so I decided to pick up something on the way home. What is kinda healthy and good for dinner? Subway! I spent way too long parallel parking in front of the store (the parking spaces are the size of a small car) only to realize Subway was closed.

No worries! I would grab something else. I walked down Vaci utca. Everything was either closed or a sit-down etterem. Again, no worries! I walked over to my trusty gyro / currency exchange joint in back of the Marriot. Gyros there are delicious and cheap – 630 forint (€2.2). Unfortunately, I had a grand total of 600 forint in my wallet as I had spent more than I thought at Margaret Island this weekend. Sketchy gyro joints don’t take credit cards.

30 minutes later I was back in the car with no food.

As I started weaving my way through the one way streets to go home, I reached a dead end. Not like a cul-de-sac dead-end, but like a pole in the middle of the street. There were cars parked on either side of me, so I backed up the length of about three Olympic size pools, stopping multiple times to straighten out the car. I cannot believe I didn’t hit anything/anyone.

I was a little (a lot) grumpy by the time I got home and started to make PBJ sandwiches on crackers. Well, I dropped the jelly getting it out of the refrigerator and glass shards literally reached my bedroom at the other end of the apartment. This is why I mopped and vacuumed my apartment for the first time at 12:30am last night.

I finished off the night by watching an episode of Weeds where Nancy is abused my her druglord lover. No wonder I had strange dreams.

I just reread the above entry and realized it is pretty lame. I am hoping you find my night funny slash endearing slash something but don’t feel bad if you don’t. If you wrote about your (boring) night on your blog, I probably wouldn’t care either.

On a more positive note, I used skype for the first time on Sunday night! I talked to some of my favorite people in the world, Ms. Katie Van Syckle and my fam. I tried talking to Olivia (my dog) but she was just confused as to where the voice was coming from. The best thing about skyping was that my mom was talking to me while wearing a pink doo rag with a picture of a (female) pirate on it. I kid you not.

2 comments: