Thursday, July 9, 2009

I Have No Real Point Here

I actually have had to do work this week - what is up with that? And unfortunately this has caused me to miss many of our 1+ hour lunch breaks. Not a big deal except that I have attracted a lunch group, a small posse of coworkers whom want to practice their English with me over fast food at Tesco. When I had to cancel our lunch date today, I did not feel too guilty until I received the following email:

Oohh :(
I've waited so much this day! But, no probelem. I know the work is important!
When we were on lunch last time I really enjoyed! I don't know how you do that! You're always smiling and happy :)
So, I'm keep on waiting you call! But if you have freetime you can send mail to me! It's a practice also to learn English, and if you have a question about Hungarian language I'll help you! :)
Have a good day!

Yeah, so today I had to do work and was a bad person. That's a lot to accomplish by noon on a weekday.

In other news, I was warned Budapest was a small city, but I figured I would not experience that for a while. Well, I met up with the Budapest "real estate" ex-pat crowd for drinks last night (are they brokers? slumlords? I am not quite sure). They were super friendly, laid back and celebrating one of the guy's engagements to his Hungarian girlfriend. When I got to the bar, the guy's fiance came up to me and excitedly / drunkenly double-cheek kissed me - she was the (adorable) woman who had rented me my apartment. She was also the woman who politely told me "hell, no" when I requested the owner provide me with muffin tins.

(A moot point since I still cannot differentiate between baking soda and arsenic in Tesco.)

I also volunteered to slash was coerced into hosting a dinner party for my new Hungarian couch surfing friends next week. Not usually too tricky except I am supposed to cook real Hungarian food. According to an actual Hungarian, Hungarian cooking is more or less putting a lot of lard in a pan, adding a diced onion and one cup of paprika, and then throwing in whatever else one feels like.

This is where my potential Hungarian Kika boyfriend could come in handy. Because I haven't been going out to lunch, I haven't seen him in a while but have been thinking about him nonetheless. The more I think about him, the more I believe we have in common. He serves food; I like food. He has a ponytail; so do I! We both are/were food service professionals specializing in lunchfare. He likely gets paid in forints and I get paid in Euros - I am sure there is some kind of currency arbitrage opportunity there.

All of this finance speak is making my head hurt. TGIF!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Honey, I can only post a comment about half of the time. I don't know why it's so hard to do! Funny post. I like what you have in common with your Kika BF. Where are the boots you want? I can't find them. Daddy is yelling at the TV. Guess why? xxxx

    ReplyDelete